- I hardly saw Meriam this last week, but it’s only because she’s been so busy. Here’s an update on her progress as an author and a report on my walk down memory lane. First, let’s look at what Meriam has accomplished:
- 1) Revised dialogue making it less formal/creating distinctive voices.
- 2) Completely revamped one main character and deleted another (the latter is being saved for another book).
- 3) Rethought/reworked at least one full chapter in the book (many writers – including me – can’t bring themselves to delete or minimize large sections of their work. Kudos, Meriam.)
- 4) Knocked chapter endings making them both compelling and strategic
- 5) Policed herself on show/don’t tell
At 25,000 words and counting, this is a milestone draft for Meriam. A document that read like a character sketch of The Witches of New Moon Beach is now taking on the form and substance of a book. Continue Reading →